Sunday, August 14, 2016

Pheaturing James Friley From Idiot Glee



Hey kids, welcome to the Phile for a Sunday. How are you? If you are in New York City I feel sorry for you. It's so hot in New York City that cockroaches may fly. If, when you hear the words "New York City," you tend to think "apocalyptic cesspool" instead of "greatest city in the world," congrats: cockroaches are proving you right, because they're maybe about to start flying around the city because that's what they do when it's this hot and humid. “In hot steam tunnels, something with the temperature and the humidity encourages them to fly,” said Ken Schumann, an entomologist at Bell Environmental Services, to the website DNAinfo. “When it's warm and steamy that seems to be what they like." If only warm steamy humans could take the same approach and flap our wings all the way to Alaska.
Are you kids watching the Olympics? On Thursday evening, Michael Phelps added a record fourth consecutive title in the 200m individual medley, and also bested a record that had stood for 2,168 years. He also owns the record for most medals (26) and most golds (22) in Olympics history. So Phelps reign as an Olympic beast in the water carries on. His 13th individual title eclipsed the 12 titles held by Leonidas of Rhodes, who won three foot races... the diaulos, stadion and hoplitodromos... in four consecutive festivals between 164 B.C. and 152 B.C. Those races required athletes to wear heavy battle gear, possibly including a helmet, a breastplate, shin armor and a shield. While Phelps did not have to swim in armor, his game face in Rio makes it look like he's always ready to go to war.
Speaking of Olympic swimmers... Ryan Lochte's mother says her son and at least one of his teammates was held up at gunpoint while heading to a party in Rio last night, "USA Today" reported. But his coach is disputing the account. And who would dare damage a platinum silver hair on the gold medalist swimmer's head? "I think they’re all shaken up. There were a few of them," Ileana Lochte said to USA Today. "No, they were just, they just took their wallets and basically that was it."David Marsh, Lochte's personal coach, said that no one was held up but he's looking into exactly what happened. But an IOC spokesman said that nothing happened.Whatever happened, Lochte seems to be okay. So basically the only thing to report at the moment is... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shit, here's another story about an Olympic swimmer... "The Mercury News" published a terrible Twitter headline on Thursday evening when Simone Manuel won the gold for the women's 100m freestyle. She became the first African-American woman to win an individual Olympic medal in swimming Thursday night, tying for gold with Penny Oleksiak of Canada. Manuel and Oleksiak both touched the wall in 52.70 seconds, breaking the Olympic record by one one-hundredth of a second. The headline, perhaps intended to note a historic night for two American athletes, truly missed the mark...


Manuel told "USA Today" that she understands why her race will be mentioned along with her win. And while she hopes to encourage more African-Americans to the sport, she ultimately just wants to be recognized as a champion. Congrats to gold medalist Simone Manuel. She's more than earned it. Okay, moving on...
The British witchcraft shop Mystical Moments makes beautiful wood wands for "real" witches and wizards, but if you're just a nerdy Harry Potter fan, GTFO. Richard Carter, who owns the shop, says he can spot a Harry Potter fan just by their aura, reports the "Telegraph." "J.K. Rowling has obviously done her research but Harry Potter is for children," the grown man who makes wands said. "It has done nothing for business.""I don't have customers who have been Harry Potterfied," he added. "If I had someone come in wanting a wand just because they liked Harry Potter I would not sell them one, not matter how much money they were offering." Carter says the wands can be used to draw a protective circle around witches, to cure pains and sickness, and to make wishes come true. Potential wand owners need to visit the real-life Ollivanders in person, to better choose a wand that has, like, good vibes. Crazy how Harry Potter fans are living in a fantasy world.
I'll mention this under the pheature Someone Phamous Has Died but I have to mention to here as well... Kenny Baker, the actor behind Star Wars' R2-D2 who also starred in films like Time Bandits and Flash Gordon, is dead, his niece confirmed yesterday. Baker... whose age is variously being reported as 81, 82, and 83... played the spunky Artoo in the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequel films. The 3 foot, 8 inch actor had apparently been ill for some time, and didn't appear in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. "It was expected, but it’s sad nonetheless," said his niece, Abigail Shield said. "He had a very long and fulfilled life. He brought lots of happiness to people and we’ll be celebrating the fact that he was well loved throughout the world. We’re all very proud of what he achieved in his lifetime."
So, just now I mentioned Michael Phelps... do you know when he is not swimming on the Oympics he is working at SeaWorld? No, well, I happen to have proof...


Hahaha. Speaking of Phelps, did you see eyeing down his opponent, South African swimmer Chad le Clos? If not here's what happened...


Damn! So, there's a pic of Donald Trump that might be able to explain a lot of things...


Do you see it? Look under the bucket. So, I was watching fencing on the Olympics and I couldn't believe what they were using...


About bloody time. So, I love kid's, and love it when they draw something that should be innocent but comes out looking not so innocent. You'll see what I mean.

Mommy actually helps customers move big objects at Home Depot. At least during the day. Are you playing "Pokémon Go"? Go Team Instinct! Some people are not only playing but they are cashing in on the game. Like this brewery owner who’s making good work of their huge sign.


So, it's summer and I am showing you pictures of women in bikini's with something not so sexy in the background. Why not, right?


What an arsehole. Here's a brunch tip for you... Make sure to post a photo so your ex can see how much fun you're having. And now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is...


Top Phive Groups Of People Who Went To See Sausage Party
5. Film lovers who admired Salma Hayek's work in Frida and Traffic, but have yearned to see her play a lesbian taco.
4. People who'd rather watch 88 minutes of talking food than 10 seconds of the Olympics.
3. Sentient bagels, excited that their story is finally being told.
2. Weirdos who have long dreamt of seeing baby carrots curse a blue streak.
And the number one group of people who went to see Sausage Party were...
1. Virginal losers who'd just be having a sausage party anyway.




This is a pretty stupid one. If you spot the Mindphuck please let me know. Okay, so, I was recently talking with my son about how we used to watch "Sesame Street" when he was little and how the sow now has changed. So, once again, it's time for...



Big Bird tries to escape from an Allied biplane.


In what is likely the most self-aware thing he has ever said, Donald Trump admitted that he will probably have a hard time getting into heaven. The racist Republican pumpkin monster was speaking at an event hosted by the Christian group American Renewal Project in Kissimmee, Florida and decided to appeal to the audience's values of mercy and salvation, claiming the only way he could be Saved is through the Oval Office. “This will be an election that will go down in the history books for the evangelicals, for the Christians, for everybody of religion. This will be maybe the most important election the country has ever had,” Trump said, according to The Hill. “So go out and spread the word, and once I get in, I’ll do my thing that I do very well. And I figure it’s probably... maybe the only way I’m going to get into heaven, so I better do a good job.” The Hill adds that this is the second time this week that Trump owned up to past indiscretions, saying that he never thought that running for president was "in the cards" for him, and had he anticipated going into politics, he "would have had a little softer path." Trump will likely need all the help he can get to get to heaven, having committed all seven of the seven deadly sins on many occasions.


Kenny Baker
August 24th, 1934 — August 13th, 2016
Wonder if they'll bury him in the droid?



The 51st book to be pheatured in the Phile's Book Club is...


Brian will be a guest on the Phile in a few weeks.


Today's pheatured guest is the lead singer for the band Idiot Glee whose new self-titled album "Idiot Glee" is available on iTunes. Please welcome to the Phile... James Friley.


Me: James, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

James: I am good! I'm not tired. What's new...

Me: I interviewed a lot of musicians in the past who don't go by their name but go by "stage names" or band names and I have to ask you about yours. Why not record under your own name James Friley, and instead call yourself Idiot Glee?

James: I like my name, but something about going by your personal name just doesn't sound very good anymore... I don't know, like Nick Cave, Brian Eno, David Bowie, etc... it all sounds so good, right? But James Friley? Lame. Idiot Glee sort of fit the mood anyways.

Me: Where did the name come from?

James: I got it from a YouTube video with Brian Eno from the 80s.

Me: Listening to your music, you are not an idiot. Brian Eno? I am glad you didn't get it from the show "Glee."

James: Eno describes "idiot glee" as an overwhelming sensation, a feeling of excitement when you've just came up with an idea you think is good. Like a big light bulb goes off in your head and you have a rush of excitement... sort of like that. I get that feeling... I like it.

Me: Where are you from, James?

James: Grew up in Ashland, Kentucky, a town of about 19,000 in eastern Kentucky, then came here to Lexington in 2006.

Me: I thought you were gonna say Utah as you're a Mormon. A few years ago I had the drummer from The Used and they are from Utah, but not Mormon's, so I guess I am the idiot thinking you were from Utah. Is there a lot of Mormons in that part of the world you're from?

James: Well, not a ton, although growing up we had about 200 people a week attending our church in Ashland, which is pretty good for eastern Kentucky I think? But yeah, maybe just a couple in each high school. Lexington and Louisville there are more, as it goes with bigger cities. Of course Utah has exponentially more.

Me: This is a stupid question, but I am guessing you don't drink soda, am I right?

James: Wrong, haha... soda? Come on. I'm a huge fan of: Coca-Cola, Mountain Dew, Virgil's Cream Soda and root beer, and most importantly, Winchester Kentucky's very own Ale 8 One ginger ale.

Me: I love cream soda but it's not good for me. Okay, let's talk about your album ""Idiot Glee." It's your second full length but you had quite a few EP's and singles out, right?

James: Yes, all right. 1 four song EP, a few 7"s, 3 tapes, and some tour CD's... even some digital only stuff.

Me: When and where was the album recorded and did you do all the work yourself, James? I did all the work myself, except Case Mahan plays guitar on two songs and Jamie Adkins plays bass on one song.  It was recorded between moves, half of it at JJ's Corner, my old apartment, and half here on North Limestone.

Me: I like your previous album "Paddywhack." I have to ask what that means.

James: I don't know... the ligament of a goat, according to Wikipedia. Knick knack, give a dog a bone?

Me: I like the artwork of the new album... you look like John Lennon. Who did it?

James: Robert Beatty did the cover.

Me: I am the idiot here, James. I just looked at the cover for "Paddywhack" and there's a soda can on it.


Me: You do like soda. Hahaha. Does this cover have a meaning?

James: Robert Beatty did this cover as well. As I'm a huge soda fan, his idea was to do a soda can. I told him I wanted some 70s lookin' airbrush type artwork and he came up with that... I love it.

Me: Listening to your music I definitely could tell you're a fan of 60s music and the Beach Boys. "Pet Sounds" is a big influence on you, right?

James: "Pet Sounds" was a big influence in the beginning, I love Brian Wilson. A lot of old stuff... Sam Cooke, Al Green, some Beatles way back when, etc.

Me: What other bands and music do you listen to, James?

James: Mostly local stuff, but also Fleetwood Mac, Arthur Russell, Brian Eno, The Kinks, and newer stuff like Twin Sister, Women, Deerhunter, etc.

Me: What do your parents think about your music and I am guessing they are very supportive?

James: My mom likes some of it, my dad seems to but not sure if he's being honest. They seem to be into it... they do worry about me financially though.

Me: You play keyboard and guitar, right? What instrument came first and how old were you when you first started playing?

James: Piano was first, I've been a classical pianist since 7 years old. It came pretty naturally and was all I knew until I was 13 or so when I started toying w guitar and other instruments.

Me: James, thanks so much for a great interview. Is there a website you wanna plug?

James: Idiotglee.com, hophop.bandcamp.com, and resonanthole.com!

Me: Thanks again, and take care, Idiot... just kidding. Take care, James, and come back again.

James: Haha, thanks!!




That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to James for a great interview. The Phile will be back tomorrow with DEIDRE from Deidre and the Dark. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.






























Not if it pleases me. No, you can't stop me, not if it pleases me. - Graham Parker

No comments:

Followers