Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pheaturing Alumni Lee Negin

Hi there, everybody, welcome to another entry of the Phile. How have you been? Well, the White House announced that it has rejected several petitions to legalize marijuana. They say it has nothing to do with politics. It’s just that they can’t accept a petition that was written on a crumpled up Funyuns bag. Apple is apparently building a large solar energy farm in North Carolina. And if there’s any justice, the minute they’re done building it, God will introduce a newer, smaller sun that’s not compatible with their machinery. A school in China is being fined because children are too loud on its playground. Yeah, their teachers are like, “You kids are way too loud. Now hurry up and finish building this playground.” As you all know, Kim Kardashian and her professional basketball player husband Kris Humphries filed for divorce on Monday after being married for 72 days. I really thought they were going to make it to Thanksgiving. Kim is insisting that she really did marry for love and not publicity. She said her agent was very clear that a love marriage was the most lucrative, in terms of selling home video rights. Speaking of Kim Kardashian, yesterday Kim said that her decision to get married had nothing to do with publicity. Then she was like, “If you don’t believe me, just talk to my publicist.” Congress was hard at work the other day. They voted 396-9 to reaffirm "In God We Trust" as our national motto. I still don't know why we would trust God after what he did to Kim Kardashian and Kris. A new survey found that 46 percent of doctors have used Google or Yahoo to diagnose their patients’ symptoms. Yeah, last time I got sick, my doctor was like, “I'm sorry to tell you this, but you have ‘Server Not Responding.’” Speaking of doctor's, my wife had surgery today so I want to thank the staff at The Aesthetic Surgery Centre in Orlando for taking good care of her. Now I am a house husband once again. Oh God, how do I heat up a can of soup? Michael Jackson’s personal physician found guilty, but his plastic surgeon walks away free, how does that happen? They don't think Conrad Murray will do any jail time, but he will go to work in the prison system, however. They think he'll be in charge of lethal injections. I don't know about you but for the five hours Lindsay Lohan was off the street and in prison, I felt much safer. The latest castoff from "Dancing With the Stars," Herman Cain is here with us tonight. No, wait, I’m sorry. That's a joke from next year. A fourth woman came forward with accusations of sexual harassment dating back to the late '90s. Her name is Sharon Bialek and her lawyer is Gloria Allred. I think Gloria Allred has a press podium in her living room for instances just like this. We'll see what Herman has to say about this in 30 minutes or less or we'll give you your money back. Alright, so everyone keeps telling me I should check out the show on TV called "The Walking Dead" and they said I would like it. I didn't know until I saw the recent advertisement poster for it. Now I wanna see it. Check it out.

So, we were just in Kentucky, right? Did you know there was a how there? No? Well, there is and I found it.

And now for some sad news...

Heavy D
May 24, 1967 - November 8, 2011
Getting less so by the minute.
Bil Keane
October 5, 1922 - November 8, 2011
It's not that he was JUST the cartoonist who created "Family Circus", we'll have you know he ALSO did "Channel Chuckles" and "Silly Philly", to say nothing of the fact that he was PRESIDENT of the National Cartoonists Society for 3 years, AND was close friends with Jeff MacNelly, the creator of "Shoe".




Okay, while we went to Kentucky we noticed a lot of references to Daniel Boone. For example, check out the name of this hotel.

Also notice what's behind it. LOL. Anyway, even though when I was a kid living in Shoreham, Long Island having a family that was related to Boone I still don't know much about him. So, instead of going to Wikipedia, where I get all my facts, I thought I would go to a guy that loves and knows everything about America. So, once again, please welcome to the Phile...

Me: Hello, Pat, welcome back to the Phile. So, who was Daniel Boone?

Pat Riot: There are two Daniel Boone's the current Daniel Boone is a gay rights activist for the Republican party sometimes known as "Mincing Dan" who also owns a string of ladies hair salons up and down the Eastern seaboard. Mincy Danny is the son of professional bowler Dickie Swanson and actress Elva Boone, (best known as Mrs. Powell on "Gilligan's Island") The historical Daniel Boone as I am sure you know, was one of the last American cowboys best known for the shootout at O.K. Corral in Tombstone Arizona, and also for becoming the 11th President of the United States after Teddy Roosevelt was assisinated during the Civil War. Boone also opened the first string of succesful french bistros in America which later became known as today's Chik-Fil-A. While serving as President Boone is best known for bringing the Swedish game of "Gulf" (later golf) to the White House. He also climbed the Mattehorn in Switzerand and had a child out of wedlock with famous lesbian flygirl Amelia Earhart. In his earlier years Boone was a bare knuckle fighter who once knocked out heavyweight champ Jess Willard in Bruxton New Jersey in 1885. Boone was also known as a fur trapper, and he popularized a method of bathing skunk hides in reindeer milk still used to this day. Boone along with partner Samuel Lemoyne invented the indoor commode and coined the phrase The Crapper. Boone at the age of 97 taught Jerry Lewis how to throw Injun knive. Lewis accidentally killed a stagehand while practicing the knife throw and the series was cancelled by CBS after only two seasons. Boone performed the first gay marriage ceremony in 1899 at the Chicago Worlds Fair. He was also the illegitimate great grandfather of both actress Drew Barrymore and formula race driver Jackie Stewart. Boone is also widely believed to be the inventor of both ketchup and liquid paper which made his last years more than comfortable while also owning a dog kennel/nursing home in Sarasota Florida. Boone died in his sleep at the age of 105. His wife Trudy outlived him and later married President Zanzibar Garcia Owens of the Argentine.

Me: There you go, the history of Daniel Boone. Thanks, Pat. 




Okay, today's guest is one of the deepest and most spiritual guest I ever had here. He was last on the Phile this year on February 16th. Since then he has released a new album called "W Wei" which is available on iTunes, from CDBaby, Amazon and pretty much everywhere. Please welcome back to the Phile... Lee Negin.

Me: Hello, Lee, welcome back to the Phile. How have you been?

Lee: Hello, Jason. Great to be back. Thank you for having me. I've been quite well. I hope you have, too. 

Me: I have to say your last interview on the Phile was one of the most deepest interviews I have done ever. Are your interviews normally that deep?

Lee: It depends on what questions are asked and the forum... but, generally, I like to submerge.

Me: Last time we talked you were living in Seoul and teaching at Hanyang University, right? Are you still teaching there?

Lee: Indeed.

Me: You're teaching English, right?

Lee: No, not really. I teach in English, but I primarily teach Culture (Cross-Cultural Communication), Presentation Skills and Academic Writing. I am really a teaching "methodologist" (by education and experience), and I came to Korea from Europe originally to train Korean English teachers how to teach English and Culture. However, after doing that, a few years ago I decided to return to teaching undergraduates.

Me: This year you have been very busy with two releases and a bunch of videos, Lee. Is next year gonna be as busy for you?

Lee: Maybe more so. I plan to release a 2-CD opera in February, then write a concert's worth of material and take it on the road, possibly touring Europe and some Asian cities starting next summer. Interspersed with new singles and videos, and another EP release, I should be a busy boy.

Me: You have a new album called "Wu Wei" which you mentioned last time. For new readers, or readers that don't remember, explain what wu wei means.

Lee: Wu Wei translates from Chinese to 'no effort,' or 'effortless effort.' A Taoist concept--seemingly a paradox but only to the rational, conditioned mind.

Me: I thought it meant what people say when they are impressed... "Wu wei". Oh, would that be whoo wee?

Lee: Jason, I warned you about too much sun exposure! SPF 120 for you, my friend!

Me: How do you compare "Wu Wei" to "Hungry Ghosts", your last album?

Lee: They were both written and recorded at the same time, kind of the Yin and Yang of what I do. Wu Wei contains longer, less structured work. More symphonic.

Me: Is there a song about Cheeze on the new album, Lee?

Lee: No. Swami Cheeze took a breather. He's the star of next year's opera though, so he has been on a meditation, tantric yoga retreat deep in the Himalayas, preparing.

Me:
Where was the album recorded?

Lee: In my studio in Seoul.

Me: And who produced it?

Lee: Me. I did everything but master it. The mastering was done by Jon Astley (David Bowie, The Who, George Harrison, ABBA, Led Zeppelin, etc.) in London. The same fellow who mastered my February release, "Hungry Ghosts."

Me: I have to ask you about the song "WTF". What is that song about?

Lee: Exasperation. "I can only say, 'WTF'!" Obama... meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Tea party, war, slaughter, environmental degradation, nationalism, genocide, animal abuse, religious fanaticism... blah blah blah. Same as it ever was.

Me: At the end you say "eat apple pie". That's an interesting thing to say at the end of the song, Lee. Do you like apple pie? Apples give me migraines so I can't eat apple pie. Key Lime Pie, now that's a different story.

Lee: Sun screen Jason, a wide-brimmed hat and long sleeves!! Apple pie equals America. I have been an expatriate for over 2 decades... the sun has set on the empire.

Me: You have done some videos with a guy named Seelenflug... what a great name. You are always meeting and working with interesting individuals. Who is Seelenflug, where is he from and how did you meet him? Seelenflug sounds like a character from Star Wars or Harry Potter.

Lee: SHE is a Swiss Shamanic artist that was a member of my now disbanded artist team LINPA = League of Interplanetary Neo-Psychedelic Artists. I assembled a group of international artists to work with me on videos, my CD covers and booklets, etc. The covers of "Hungry Ghosts" and "Wu Wei" and the booklet for "Hungry Ghosts" were done by members. A couple of members and I made some videos together, too. I think Seelenflug translates to 'Soul Flight'... sorry... I forgot (she'll be cross).

Me: I have to ask you about this, your old roommate played keyboards on Toni Basil's song "Mickey"? That's really cool.

Lee: Yes, Paul Delph. We were in an electronica/experimental/jazz fusion/world music band together and were housemates (we had a rehearsal room in the basement). After we split up (the band) and I moved away, he split to LA, and that's when I started doing solo work (writing and releasing my own material, and playing all of the instruments). I think he did some gigs with Yes, and studio work. He played that cheesy Farfisa Organ on "Mickey." He died several years ago.

Me: And something else I wanted to ask you last time you were here... you were on the John Peel Radio One show? Did you get to meet him? When was this?

Lee: This ties in with the previous. After my band broke up, I decided I had had enough of dealing with other musicians, put together a composer's studio (4-track Tascam reel to reel tape machine!) and went solo. I started to compose and release my music. I started to get airplay internationally (this was in the pre-Internet days when radio mattered), including the UK. In those days, the radio stations would send out playlists. I received one or two from John Peel. He was playing my music, particularly "Nothing Goes Right," on his BBC show. No, I didn't meet him. I seem to recall he wrote me a note. I'm not being flippant... it was a long time ago, and all of my papers are in storage outside of San Francisco.

Me: For those that don't know, explain what a big deal Peel was.

Lee: You are rapping! Yo... Peel was the real deal! Very hard to explain to Americans. The USA is huge, and the radio markets were very localized (before Internet-streaming radio). Every city had their own influential DJs, particularly the major markets (larger cities). These DJs had the power to make or break recording artists. In the UK, John Peel was the man (he passed away a few years ago). He introduced and championed countless Indie and alternative musicians. It is/was quite a badge of honor to say that "I was played by John Peel!"

Me: I mentioned Cheeze earlier and you held a thing this past Summer called Cheeze Takes Off which was a 5D documentary feature film? How can it be 5D? Where was it, and what exactly was it?

Lee: Alchemy. 5D is within you and without you... you just need the proper perspective (or a 5D monocle that is worn over the single eye, and can be rented at my soirees). It was held in cyberspace, and it was the red carpet gala, intergalactic premier of my documentary, Cheeze Takes Off which was the follow-up to Cheeze Turns On. These films can be seen on my Youtube channel now (in 2D).

Me: I read clothing was optional there. Were there a lot of naked people running around?

Lee: There was a wide variety of species that attended. Lots of organic (and otherwise) matter on display.

Me: Speaking of naked, well done on having a naked woman on your website, Lee. I take it you know this woman?

Lee: Know her??!! I beg your pardon. That's my mother.

Me: I apologize. Lee, thanks again for being on the Phile, and I hope you can come back soon when your next album comes out. All the best. Go ahead and plug your sites.

Lee: Cool. The plan is a 2-CD opera (with Cheeze as the protagonist) to be released in February (tentative). I am working on that now. Video Channel: youtube.com/user/passingphasemusic. More info: passingphasemusic.com and leenegin.com and facebook.com/LeeNegin1.

Me: Thanks again, and take care, Lee.

Lee: My pleasure. Thank you!




There, that about does it for this Wednesday entry of the Phile. Whoo Wee! Thanks to Jeff Cameron and of course thanks to Lee for another great interview. The Phile will be back tomorrow with the lovely and talented Alumni Tiffany Thompson, and then on Friday it's also the lovely and talented guys from The Whiskey Saints who are also Alumni, and then on Sunday it's also the lovely and talented Alumni Charlotte Sometimes. So spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.


Man, you can't hardly read where I wrote The Peverett Phile on the paper towel. Oh well. See ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Followers