Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pheaturing Taye Cannon From Roxy Roca

Hello, and welcome to Occupy Peverett Phile. It's been two weeks since I posted an entry, did you miss me? We went on vacation to Washington D.C. and Philly, and we stopped at Hershey. Do you know how we got to Hershey? We took the Hershey Highway. I think I told that joke a few years ago when we went there before. Anyway, D.C. was great, but next time I want to go to Washington Marvel. We got to see the new Martin Luther King Memorial statue. 

There, that's a picture of me with it. I was wondering, what does it represent, unfinished business? I was surprised to see they made it white as well. And how do they clean it? They can't use a hose, that wouldn't be right. A lot happened in the last few weeks. The Republicans had a debate in Las Vegas. Las Vegas is a weird place for politics. Why would something known for sleazebags, prostitutes, and gambling want to be associated with Las Vegas? Did you see the World Series? I was wondering though why do baseball managers wear uniforms? It doesn't happen in any other sport. Do these managers think they'll get called into the game? I do like baseball, though. There is something incredibly uplifting about it. And I'm not just talking about the tight pants. I love Chuck Norris but he says, “Some people say baseball has become ‘less American’ with the influx of talented Latinos into the game.” These people are called racists. I say that's exactly what makes baseball American. It's like apple pie with salsa verde on top. Lindsay Lohan had to go back to court after showing up more than an hour late for community service. But her lawyer says she's got a good excuse. She forgot to steal a watch.
President Obama was a guest on "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno. I'm surprised, because his popularity is at an all-time low. And there are people in the streets marching against him. So it's nice of President Obama to help him out. The movie Paranormal Activity 3 came out. They're pumping these movies out really fast. In the new one, the kids are haunted by the ghost of Moammar Gadhafi. Also, the remake of The Three Musketeers came out. I want to see the other movie based on a chocolate bar, Mounds. And Puss in Boots was released... which is not what I think it's about. Well, I mentioned Moammar Gadhafi, which was the biggest news in the last few weeks. A spokesperson for the Libyan rebels said Gadhafi will be replaced soon by Ashton Kutcher. There were no tears shed for him in Williamsport, PA... or Lockerbie, Scotland. He died as he lived... with no one agreeing on how to spell his name. First Osama, now Gaddafi. I think there a very nervous midget in North Korea right about now. Okay, enough about him, let's talk about me again. On the 23rd it was our 14th wedding anniversary. I asked my wife in all of these fourteen years had you ever thought about divorce. "Heavens. no, she replied. "Murder yes, but never divorce." Anyway, On our trip to D.C. we went to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing where they revealed the new five dollar note. Wanna see what it looks like? 

Speaking of Lincoln, which I didn't really do, but speaking of him, we went to Ford's Theater where you know he was shot. I was really happy to see they had a Lincoln inspirational poster there. Here it is, kids. 

I love the Smithsonian, but was more impressed by the ad they have for it. 

And now or some sad and happy news...

Muammar Gaddafi
June 7, 1942 - October 20, 2011
No more Muammar.
Jimmy Savile 
October 31, 1926 - October 29th, 2011
Jim won't fix it. Oh, shit. I just realized tomorrow would of been his birthday. 

Okay, apparently when the Republican debate was in Vegas, Mitt Romney said something about home owner's in Florida. And that's me. Well, not just me, but I am one of the people he talked about. I don't know what he said, so I thought I would someone to the Phile to explain what Romney was talking about. So, once again, here is Executive Director of the Democratic National Committee Ptrick Gaspard in a pheature I like to call...



Me: Hello, sir, welcome back to the Phile. So, am I right to say while campaigning in Las Vegas last week, Mitt Romney outlined what he'd do for struggling homeowners?

Patrick: Yes, you are. He said, "Don't try and stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom."

Me: What would that look like for Floridians who have been playing by the rules and paying their mortgages every month? 

Patrick: Mitt would tell them they're on their own. 

Me: That's kinda callous, don't you think, Director, sir? What can anyone who owns a house here in Florida do about this?

Patrick: To call it callous is an understatement. If you're as outraged at this do-nothing approach as we are, and you should be, there's something simple you can do about it right now: Spread the word, and make sure folks in Florida know exactly what they'd be getting with Mitt Romney.

Me: There's a website someone can go to share Mitt's stance?

Patrick: Yes, here is, Jason. We've put together a website to make it easy to share Mitt's stance with your friends and fellow Floridians. It's romneyhousingplan.com. And if you're on Twitter, join other Democrats from around the country in tweeting what else you think might make a good #romneyplan. We've included a few helpful examples on our site.

Me: I have to ask, sir, how is Mitt's action plan different from President Obama is taking today? 

Patrick: Mitt's housing plan couldn't be further from the action President Obama is taking today, issuing new rules for federal mortgages that would allow responsible people to re-finance their homes, even if they're under water. And in the months to come, he's said he'll continue to make a series of further policy changes at the executive level designed to help middle-class families.

Me: Okay, Mitt's plan will do diddley-squat for me, but I am sure it's gonna help somebody. Who would it help?

Patrick: Here's who Mitt's plan would help: investors looking to turn a profit. They'd buy up foreclosed homes from the banks and sell them off. Your home becomes someone else's make-a-buck-quick plan.

Me: Thank you for clearing things up, and explaining it, sir. It's not right, is it?

Patrick: It's not right, you're right, and you can help hold him accountable by spreading the word.

Me: Thank you, Director, sir.

Patrick: Thanks.

Okay, it's Sunday, which means I invite my friend Jeff Trelewicz to the Phile and we talk football in a pheature called...


Me: Hello, Jeff, welcome back to the Phile. How was your last weekend? I was in D.C. , have you ever been?

Jeff: It is always great to be back on the Phile, even if it's just one week every other week. Yes, I have been to D.C. but I was much younger when I was there. I was there with my parents in the early 90's. I keep meaning to go back.

Me: You should, Jeff. There's so much to do there. Anyway, how did we do with the picks two weeks ago?

Jeff: Both the Steelers and the Giants won in week 6. I went 2-0 while you went 1-1. So you lead by 2 points overall at the almost the halfway point in the season. 

Me: Oh, yeah! Woo-hoo! What has been the latest football news? Everyone seems to be saying how great Tebow was for 2 minutes. I know my brother-in-law Seth, who is a die hard Miami fan is glad Miami lost. Something about a guy named Luck. What is that about?

Jeff: The biggest news is how bad the Colts truly are without Peyton Manning. They lost last week 62-7. That seems like more of a video game score then an actual football game. I am pretty sure I beat a team on Madden by about that score. The other big news is just how the Dolphins snatched defeated from the jaws of victory. I am not sold on Tebow as a starting quarterback. Yes, he beat Miami but that isn't really saying much at this point. So we will see with him. When you hear them talk about Luck, that is Stanford Quarterback Andrew Luck who most people think will be the 1st overall pick in next year's draft.

Me: Okay, this weeks picks... I say the Panthers will win over Minnesota by 6 points. And of course the Giants will beat Miami, which is not a pick of mine, just a fact. LOL. And Denver by three.

Jeff: For week 8 I will go 49ers by 7 and Chargers by 3.

Me: Alright, now they'll be they'll be no Phile next weekend again, so I will have you back again in two weeks, but if any of our teams win we'll get points. Take care, and thanks again, Jeff. You rock.

Jeff: See you in two weeks.


Yeah, it's back! The... I don't remember how many artist's were in the Peverett Phile Art Gallery, I think five. Yeah, five. So, the sixth artist to be pheatured in the P.P.A.G. is Jasmine Becket-Griffith. This is one of her pieces...
 
Jasmine will be a guest on the Phile soon. Now for today's guest...
 
Today's guest is the lead singer for the nine piece soul band based in Austin, Texas, who are currently working on their first album. They'll be appearing next at Scoot Inn in Austin, Texas. Please welcome to the Phile from Roxy Roca... Taye Cannon.


Me: Hello, Taye, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Taye: Living the dream! Waking up to it... not from it... Thanks for having me on!

Me: I have to say Taye Cannon is a great stage name, my friend. Roxy Roca reminds me of a black woman from a 70's film for some reason. Did you come up with the name?

Taye: Thank you kindly. It's funny when I introduce myself people always think I say Ted Cannon which makes me feel like I should be a cop on a 70's television show like "Hunter" Detective Ted Cannon... LOL. You are on the right track with Roxy Roca though, the band is named after Roxie Roker, best know as her role on "The Jefferson's" as Helen Willis and also known as Lenny Kravitz's mama. "The Jefferson's" was my favorite show growing up watching the reruns on TBS and it had a profound effect on me in terms of treating people equally. I loved that she was married to Tom Willis. 

Me: It works well with the Billy Dee Williams ad I saw. Very funny. Was that your idea? You know I interviewed Billy Dee on the Phile, right?

Taye: YOU INTERVIEWED BILLY DEE!!? Man, he too slick. Billy D and Carl Weathers were my favorite actors when I was a boy. My brother actually interviewed me on cassette tape once when we were kids and I told him that. 

Me: Okay, Taye, let's talk about the band. I read you're on a mission from God... did you story start off in jail as well?

Taye: LOL... well... we do wear suits... and once... well that story is for another time... off the record! :)

Me: Your story reminds me more of The Commitment's than The Blues Brothers. Who is in the band with you, Taye?

Taye: We've got Errol Siegel on guitar, Roger Wuthrich on bass, Bobby Villwock on the keys, and my super dynamite drummer Alex Moralez. The Roca horns consists of Nikolas Bouklas on tenor sax, Thomas Hays on trombone, Mr. Ryan Allen on alto sax and Sir. Tom Robinson on barri sax!! And that my friend is what ya call a lot of Real Estate!!

Me: I imagine you grew up listening to Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson and one of my favorites Wilson Pickett. Did you grow up listening to them, or did the soul thing come later?

Taye: Well then you've got ya' a sharp imagination there my friend because you just named some of my idols right there!! All three of those were packed in my father's record collection! THE record collection that kicked off my love for soul music at a very young age. Jackie, Otis, Wilson, Jr. Walker, Marvin Gaye, Chuck Jackson, The Temps!, The Tops!, The Tams, Little Anthony and the Imperials, James Brown, Fats, Smokey... they were all in there!

Me: Your band kinda reminds me of a hipper Huey Lewis and the News. What do you think of their soul styleish music?

Taye: I love Huey Lewis and The News! That was one of the first records I bought with my own money in like 3rd grade or something. I thought he was super cool and I loved their videos and style. My brother and I use to stay up late at night and record "Night Tracks" we would put the recorder next to the TV and record the songs we liked onto audio tape. Huey, Prince, all those kats were on those tapes, and we still have them.

Me: I said stylish. Is that even a word? Anyway, one of my favorite singers of all time, Graham Parker, was heavily influenced by soul as well... are you aware of his work?

Taye: The Rumours? Right? I am not super familiar with his work. I do know that they were known for having a pretty powerful live show. I will have to dig into them a little.

Me: Taye, where are you from, sir?

Taye: Born in Alabama... and I will always call Bama home.

Me: Have you always lived there?

Taye: I grew up outside of Nashville, Tenn. as a small kid and the Mississippi Gulf Coast through High School, moved around some more till the music dream finally landed me in lovely Austin, Texas

Me: Is Roxy Roca your first band you have been in?

Taye: Roxy Roca has been a long time coming but it wasn't my first band... rebellion and rock and roll was my poison for a while.

Me: I imagine your shows are hot. Do you just play around the Austin area? You'll do well here in Orlando I bet.

Taye: For now we are just playing Texas, which is vast. You can travel for days and never leave the Lonestar State. Living in a music city like Austin we are spoiled because the world comes to you. Music fans flock to Austin daily but we are looking forward to getting this show on the road and abroad!

Me: So, I heard you're working on a CD, Taye? Is it gonna have all covers, or are you gonna put any originals on it? The songs I heard from Roxy Roca are great, especially your version of "Grits Ain't Groceries" which is one of my favorite songs ever. Who do you think did the best version of that song?

Taye: Thanks. We are layin' down some tracks in Austin at Clock Right Studios... just compiling a vault of tunes right now, both original and covers. I love "Grits", my favorite would have to be Little Milton's version although I have been listening to the original Little Willie John quite a bit lately.

Me: I was hoping you'd say Savoy Brown. Have you ever heard their version?

Taye: That version is killer!! Such amazing vocals and a lot of grit, one of my favs' in fact. I wanna go listen to it right now.

Me: Taye, thanks so much for being on the Phile. Please come back when your CD comes out. All the best, Taye. Oh, go ahead and plug your website and everything as well.

Taye: Thank you so much for having me. It's an honor. You can check us out at Roxyroca.com. We have it set up so you can go from there to all of our media outlets and if you like what you see and here please hook up with us on Facebook!





There you go, another entry done. Thanks to my guests Patrick Gaspard, Jeff Trelewicz and of course Taye Cannon. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Johnny Beauford from the band Bravo, Max! And then again on Tuesday with another entry with musician Chris Nelson. So, until then spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alliagors bite you. Bye, love you, bye. 




No comments:

Followers