Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pheaturing Jon Tiven



I really can't stay, (but baby it's cold outside), I've got to go away, (but baby it's cold outside). Hey there, welcome to the Peverett Phile, I am your host, Jason 'True Git' Peverett. How are you? I am freezing, thanks for asking. Have you guys seen the new Pirates movie trailer yet? I won't be in it. Speaking of movies, yesterday we went to see the new Narnia movie and the whole time I am waiting for this chick name Dawn Treader to be in it, and Dawn Treader turns out to be a boat. Don't I feel stupid. Johnny Depp recently said he’s very anti-Hollywood. He said it from his trailer on the set of Pirates of the Caribbean 4. A video has surfaced of Miley Cyrus smoking out of a bong. She’s no longer Hannah Montana. She’s now known as “Hannah Marijuana.” When Miley Cyrus’ dad, Billy Ray, found out that his daughter was taking drugs, he kicked her out of the house — until he realized she owns it. A lot of people are upset, but she only had one hit — just like her dad. She was smoking salvia, which can cause hallucinations, such as thinking the girl videotaping you is your friend. Man, those Disney children... Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens have broken up. Where do you go after dating such a pretty girl? That’s a question Vanessa Hudgens will have to answer. A new food bill has been signed into law. It’s part of our war against donuts. If we’re not vigilant, the donuts will win. After signing the law, President Obama said our government shows it is serious about setting a good example for children’s health. Then he went outside to smoke a cigarette. Hey, sports fans, The Vikings-Giants game was moved because the Metrodome’s roof caved in under the weight of snow. It’s not very often that you see weather affect a game that’s inside a dome. That’s why mom always said not to build your stadium roof out of plastic wrap. The Golden Globe nominations were just announced. It’s the best award money can buy. The Golden Globes are voted on by foreign journalists. In a spectacular display of understanding the business, they have nominated the movie The Tourist for best musical or comedy. Slight technical problem: It’s not a musical or a comedy. The new Michael Jackson album is out in the record stores. When I heard that, I said, “There are still record stores?” I’m not exposed to much music these days because I don’t listen to the radio while driving. It distracts me from texting. Like I said, it is so cold here in Florida right now. How cold is it? well, our house turned into ice. Take a look.

By the way, that's myself standing in front of it. LOL. The cold almost turned our grass into blue carpet apparently. And blacked out everything else. Did you guys see who won TIME's person of the year? I didn't until I saw this poster.

I look forward every year to see what holiday season Coca-Cola ad will be released. I was very surprised to see this year's ad.

And now for some really sad news.


Bob Feller
November 3, 1918 - December 15, 2010
One dead feller.
Elizabeth Edwards
July 3, 1949 - December 7, 2010
Pretty sure she wouldn't have lasted this long without the support of her husband.




The older Pevensie siblings are busy with less fantastical pursuits this time around, so it's up to the younger Lucy and Edmund to go adventuring through Narnia with their obnoxious cousin Eustace. They meet up with Caspian, now the King, on his ship The Dawn Treader and they travel from island to island on a quest to rid Narnia of a curse coming from the "Dark Isle." And for the record, all comparisons to Homer's Odyssey with the added features of a can-do talking mouse and a Jesus-figure lion have already been made. And if you haven't seen the last two movies you have to go back to the beginning before buying a ticket to this one or you won't know what they're all going on about. So, Disney should have really held out for this third installment. It's their own fault Prince Caspian was mostly dull anyway. Of course, they might have made this one boring, too, so maybe it's a good thing in the long run that they abandoned ship. Anyway, this is the shortest (just under two hours long) and the fastest-moving of the franchise so far. And that's good news for people who want to like these movies more than they do but can't quite get over how the period details also seem to sometimes dictate a thick, starchy, pudding-like quality to the storytelling. Maybe it's the heavy moral that always seems to be lying in wait. Maybe it's just that these kids aren't as cool and modern or as magical as the Potter tribe. Whatever it is, it's what's probably going to make the difference between a movie that's loved for generations by millions and one that's just going generate millions of dollars of "like well enough" feeling on opening weekend. Will Poulter, from Son of Rambow, plays the kind of horrible child that you love to hate in movies but would never want to be near in real life, and he goes for it in a completely unselfconscious way that's in contrast to the quickly-growing-up Georgie Henley and Skandar Keynes, both of whom have entered that part of adolescence where you second-guess everything you do. It shows here a little too much, but they'll grow out of it. I've been taken to task lately by cool people for liking Aslan so much. But I do. I like it when he shows up. I like it when the movie comes to a thudding halt as he Liam Neeson-voices his moralistic wisdom. I like that he's supposed to be Jesus. Because when else do you get the nice gentle Jesus in movies? He's either being brutalized by Mel Gibson or ironically goofed on or used as some sort of twisted exorcism trick everywhere else. This is straight up be-brave-and-good Jesus. What's to dislike? Oh yeah, and SWINTON. She's always perfect, too. From 1 to 10, it gets a 10, and yes, I will be buying it.




Okay, today's guest is a composer, guitarist and record producer. He has produced albums by Wilson Pickett, Frank Black and Don Covay as well as a series of tribute albums paying tribute to the songwriting of Don Covay, Arthur Alexander, Otis Blackwell, Curtis Mayfield, Van Morrison and Graham parker. He was also a really good friend of my dad's so it's a pleasure to welcome to the Phile... Jon Tiven.

Me: Hello, Jon, welcome to the Phile. How are you? And how is your wife Sally?

Jon: We're good thanks, a little chilly...

Me: Thanks for taking part with this, sir. I have to ask you about my dad before I ask you anything else. When did you first meet him, when was the last time you got to speak to him and where were you when you found out he passed away?

Jon: We first met in London at Trident studios when they were recording "Rock & Roll"----the song "Home In My Heart" actually. We last spoke when I lived in NYC, and I think I was in Nashville when I heard.

Me: Jon, where do you live now, and where are you from originally?

Jon: I live in Nashville, but for many years I was in NY (1975-2002). Before that, Conn. & Memphis inbetween.

Me: You have worked on many tribute albums, right? One for Arthur Alexander and one for Otis Blackwell that I know of. How do you go about and getting the bands to perform on those albums? Do you pick what they'll perform or do you?

Jon: I just put together my want list and see who comes. I also did ones for Don Covay, Curtis Mayfield, Phil Spector, Van Morrison and Graham Parker.

Me: Maybe one day we can work on a Lonesome Dave tribute album?

Jon: If you put it together I'll help, but I'm trying to stay out of the tribute business.

Me: What did you start doing first, writing, performing or producing? You used to write for Rolling Stone magazine I think.

Jon: I was a musician first, when I was 11 I started writing for sci-fi fanzines, then at 12 I started my own rock fanzine and by the time I was 15-16 most of the current pro zines wanted me to write for them. When I was 20 I started to make records, but I had been demoing for many years.

Me: You mostly play guitar, but do you play any other instruments? What was the first you learnt?

Jon: First piano, then drums, then sax. At age 15 I got hit in the mouth with a baseball bat (I was catcher) and became a guitarist.

Me: Who was the first artist you produced?

Jon: Alex Chilton, 1975.

Me: And how was that?

Jon: Painful.

Me: Where did you learn to produce?

Jon: I learned by trial and error, then by watching Andrew Loog Oldham.

Me: I vaguely remember my dad said you were in a movie with John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd, but don't think it was The Blues Brothers? Do I have my facts screwed up?

Jon: Yes, I was in One More Saturday Night and the exec producer was Dan. I was John's guitar teacher as well.

Me: You have written a lot of songs for other artists, Jon. What was your favorite song you wrote that someone else recorded? I know you wrote a song called "Inside Information" for my dad which we will one day release, but did you write any other songs you tried shopping to him?

Jon: I'm pretty partial to "He Don't Know" recorded by Huey Lewis & the News, Robert Cray, Otis Clay, and my own band. But all of my songs that have been recorded are my children, I can't show preference.

Me: Going through your discography, I am guessing you are a big fan of Stax records. Am I right?

Jon: Yes, and I was signed to their publishing company in 1975.

Me: Let's talk about The Jon Tiven Group. Is that outfit still together and who was in it with you? Sally played bass, right?

Jon: It's a defunct unit, we had a singer and a drummer as well. I still have my working units, but we don't go out under my name.

Me: There's an actor named Creed Bratton from "The Office" who I am trying to interview, but I think he has a CD that you produced... am I getting my info screwed up again?

Jon: No, you are correct, Creed is great and the record we did is awesome.

Me: What are the latest projects you are working on?

Jon: I have written three OPeras, I'm just finishing producing the first one, I SOLD OUT right now.

Me: Tell me about Jon Tiven & The Nashville Aces. Is that another band that you put together? Who does it involve?

Jon: That was sort of a coming together of my greatest demos and new tracks that I cut. It's not a real band, per se.

Me: Jon, can you think of any of your friends in the business who might be interested in being interviewed for the Phile?

Jon: Not offhand, but I'll give it a think. Kim Simmonds, maybe.

Me: Is there anything you are working on, or have worked on, that you wanna plug? Is there a website or two a Phile reader can check out?

Jon: www.jontiven.com.

Me: My dad always talked highly of you, sir, and it is a pleasure to interview you. Hope we can meet one day, and maybe work together. All the best, sir. And thanks again.

Jon: My pleasure, thanks.



Well, that about does it for another entry of the Phile. The Phile will be back next Tuesday I think with A Peverett Phile Christmas 2 and the guest will be Peace Ike from band The Peace Project. Thanks for reading. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.







No comments:

Followers