Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pheaturing Kevin Rowe




Hello, welcome to the Peverett Phile for another Tuesday. I have a very cool entry lined up for you today, kids. There's the guest Kevin Rowe, not to be confused with Kevin Argument. Wonder how many people got that joke. And the announcement of the next book in the Peverett Phile Book Club. James Cameron, who directed Avatar, is in a feud with Glenn Beck, because Cameron called him a mad man. The two are very different. One makes millions creating fictional stories, and the other is James Cameron. Madonna announced that she’s making a new movie about England’s King Edward VIII and his pretty American wife. I think it’s a great part for Madonna, but who is going to play the wife? The rising sea levels in the Indian Ocean have caused an island to vanish. Yesterday, Ben and Jerry were giving away free ice cream and today, global warming causes an island to disappear. It’s a terrible rollercoaster week for Al Gore — so happy, but so alarmed. Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush traveled to Haiti this week to talk about the country’s long-term recovery plan. It was a departure for President Bush. It’s unusual for him to visit a disaster of this scope and magnitude that wasn’t his fault. Jesse James, who is married to Sandra Bullock for the time being, has not only been seeing the tattooed lady. He’s also been seeing the bearded lady.
Dr. Conrad Murray, former personal physician to Michael Jackson, could have his medical license revoked. That seems like a reasonable thing to do. How many patients does he have left anyway? Defense Secretary Robert Gates has ordered the armed forces to initiate changes to their policy of discharging homosexuals. They’ve changed from the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, to the “If you think he’s gay, look away” policy. This means the only place gay people can be legally thrown out is “Project Runway.” Some Democrats are accusing Sarah Palin of encouraging violence against Democratic members of Congress. One of her advisors has said that Palin has been quite vocal in her condemnation of the violence. Tell that to the 100 moose, 40 caribou, and eight raccoons that she shot last year. Palin has been campaigning for select Republicans including John McCain, who’s in a tough Senate race in Arizona. How does he introduce her? “And now the young woman who cost me the presidency...” The first of Apple’s much anticipated iPads are supposed to be delivered Saturday. Unfortunately, the demand is so high, they’ve had to push their pre-orders back to April 12, just in time to announce the iPad II.
Snoop Dogg was on “Larry King Live” the other night. I’m still not sure why, but it was great. So, have you been watching "Dancing With The Stars"? I have never seen it, but ABC has a new show on that is similar. It's called "Boner With The Stars". Don't believe me? Here's a clip, kids

Thanks to whoever sent that picture in. Okay, you know I like inspirational posters, right? Well, a few weeks ago at MegaCon I found this one. See what you think.



June Havoc
November 8, 1913 - March 28, 2010
Reeking Havoc.
Robert Culp
August 16, 1930 - March 24, 2010
Oh sure - "I Spy" was a big deal, but what about his voice over role in "Robot Chicken"? THAT was some quality work.

315
The Donation of Constantine grants to the See of Rome dominion over all earthly thrones of Europe, a document made by that Roman emperor after his conversion to Christianity in return for being cured from leprosy. But in 1440, anachronisms in the document prove that it was really a fraud written around 752 AD, during the reign of and under orders of Pope Stephen II.
1282
After vespers on Easter Monday, a French soldier touches the breast of a young Sicilian bride, causing an outrage that precipitated the slaughter of perhaps 2,000 Frenchmen living and ruling over Sicily.
1968
Two children in the Bowery come across the body of a homeless drug addict later identified as Bobby Driscol, 31, the voice of Disney's "Peter Pan".
1981
While President Reagan undergoes surgery for a life-threatening gunshot wound, Secretary of State Alexander Haig announces to the press: "As of now, I am in control here, in the White House, pending return of the Vice President."
1995
A police officer who was also a member of the Aum Supreme Truth cult fires three shots into Takaji Kunimatsu, chief of Japan's National Police Agency. Takaji is seriously wounded but survives. Investigators try unsuccessfully to hide the fact that the gunman was a police officer.




Okay, and now for the announcement of the 7th book in the Peverett Phile Book Club. It's story of a young woman, who happens to be a demon from Hell, who longs for a normal life. Taking place on modern-day Earth, it's a dark comedy of sorts that hardly ever takes itself seriously.

The author Jon David will be a guest on the Phile in a few weeks. You can purchase the book from Lulu.com or MorgallaOnline.com.

Today's guest is a musician from Houston, Texas whose new album "10am" is available on iTunes right now. Starting August 1st he'll kick off his summer tour so look out for him. Please welcome to the Phile... Kevin Rowe.



Me: Hello, Kevin, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Kevin: Doing well thank you. Busy with calls and emails, getting ready for my move to the US from the UK.
Me: Okay, I am confused, are you American or English?

Kevin: Haha - born in Houston, TX and my mums side of the family are American. I was 5 years old when I came to England where my Dad's side is all English. So I have dual nationality as a Brit and American.

Me: You're living in Bristol, England now, right, but will be moving to Atlanta, Georgia. Why there?

Kevin: I've always wanted to see Atlanta, and it seems like the City has a thriving music place. Not too far from Nashville either. I'm hoping to find my future band there. I probably won't be in Atlanta for too long. I imagine that I'll relocate according to where I'm touring most, and where my management thinks I need to be.

Me: Bristol is a great city. There used to be a fantastic comic book shop there in the 80's. I used to live in Oxford, you've been there, right?

Kevin: Yeah, love Oxford. My brother and sister-in-law live there. A lovely place.

Me: I read you are looking for a manager. Have you found one yet?

Kevin: Erm, not sure how much I can say here. I've been offered loads of deals, but haven't signed anything yet. Probably can't say more than this at this time.

Me: Your music has been described and compared to Bruce Hornsby and John Mayer. Are you fans of them both?

Kevin: Actually, yes. I used to love listening to Bruce Hornsby. John Mayer is an excellent songwriter and a huge talent. To be compared to either of them is an utter honour for me.

Me: Have you met any of your idols yet, Kev?

Kevin: Hmm - I don't think I have any idols as such. Theres people I admire a lot and would love to meet. I guess John Mayer would be one of them, Mark Knopfler another. I'd love to jam with these guys! I've met and worked with some incredibly talented people in the music business, but not sure if I idolise anyone.

Me: I downloaded both your albums off from iTunes. Your first was a live album. What made you release a live album first?

Kevin: The "live" album was actually a University project. I decided that I wanted, as a music producer, to understand the complexities and art of recording a 'live' event as opposed to the studio environment. I wrote a load of songs, got a band together, sold out a theatre in England and had a great time. After 5 months of mixing and producing the album I put it on sale through iTunes. I was utterly taken back by the sales - surprised even me. Without trying people were buying this album, and it's based on the success of that first album that I wrote "10am".

Me: Your new studio album is really good. Are you proud of it?

Kevin: Extremely. Heart and sole went into every note. As the writer, performer, engineer, and producer of this album it;s very personal to me. And yes, I'm deeply proud of it.

Me: Did you have session players play on it, or your own band?

Kevin: I actually don't have "a band". I tend to pay certain players according to skills and availability. The only instrument I didn't record myself with some acoustic guitar parts of about 5 of the songs. The rest was played/programmed by me.

Me: How long did it take to record the album? Are you already thinking ahead to your next one?

Kevin: The recording process was a nightmare. It total it probably took me 2 years. This is for a number of reasons; equipment failures, upgrades, lack of funding, paying the bills over getting the music recorded etc. In the end I got a really talented friend to help co-mix the final stages of the album because I was so absorbed in the production and songwriting that I lost all perspective of the overall album 'sound'. I'm always writing new material, so... while I haven't exactly got immediate plans for a new album I'm always writing for the future.

Me: Once you move to Atlanta, you going to tour the States right?

Kevin: I certainly hope so! I'm talking with a excellent tour manager outside Philly at the moment. A great guy and someone I think I'll work well with. Can't wait to tour.

Me: Elton John lives in Atlanta, Kev. Did you know that?

Kevin: Nope. I love Elton John's early stuff though. One of the musical greats!
Me: Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck, good luck finding a manager and keep in touch. You're invited back to the Phile anytime you want. Go ahead and plug your website and have a safe moving trip.

Kevin: Thanks a lot for the questions - I've enjoyed answering them! For anyone who hasn't heard my latest album "10am" go to www.kevinrowe.com to hear it, and iTunes to buy it. You won't be disappointed!


That's it for this entry. Thanks to Wikipedia and of course Kevin Rowe for a great interview. So, this is the last day of March, so the next entry will be in April on the 6th, which is next Tuesday. And just like last April it's Artist Month here on the Phile. All through April I will be pheaturing interviews with different artists. And starting next week it's Matt Grant and Sebastian Piccione from Earthbound Comics who will be at WonderCon in San Francisco April 2nd through the 4th at table SP30 so if you go there, stop and tell them I said hello. So, until next week, spread the word, not the turd. Bye love you bye.






No comments:

Followers