Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Peverett Phile Interviews: Aaron Pabon


Hello, welcome back to the Peverett Phile Interviews. Today's guest is a young comedian from Miami who does shows at sci-fi conventions and will be appearing at Megacon in Orlando Feb. 27th to March 1st. I will be there all three days as well, but will not be doing shows. Anyway, the Peverett Phile welcomes Aaron Pabon.


Me: Hello, Aaron, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Aaron: Doing good.

Me: You were puzzled why I wanted to interview you, right. Well, it's simple. You and I are both gonna be at Megacon in Orlando and you're getting free publicity. So, are you excited about Megacon?

Aaron: Yes I am, this is going to be my first show at a major convention in Orlando. Most likely, I'll be getting my largest record in attendance.

Me: Aaron, where do you live? Do you do a lot of traveling?

Aaron: I currently live in Miami. I do a lot of traveling since there are so few cons in Miami. Most of my traveling is almost, always to cons up north.

Me: What's a Narutard?

Aaron: A Naruto fan boy or girl, anywhere in the age range of early to mid teens. They claim that Naruto is the best anime ever, despite the fact that it is the only anime they have watched.

Me: When did you start to do stand up? Do you do anything else? And it's very unusual for a comedian to do a show at a comic book convention. How did that happen?

Aaron: I started doing stand up in high school, almost 5 years ago. I used to make fun of my high school, the place itself, teachers, etc... afterward, it changed to politics, then to pop culture.
About two and a half years ago, I was working at an anime convention Yasumicon down here in Miami. My friends, who were in charge, knew I do comedy. When they found out the band guests were going to be 40 minutes late, they asked me to go on stage and kill time. So, I went on stage, cracked some jokes, and since then I took off.

Me: So, do you read comics?

Aaron: Yes. I've been reading comics since I was a kid. My two favorites are Superman and Spider-man. Superman inspired me to write and to become a journalism major. Spider-man really got me into wise-cracking to relive tension.

Me: I can't imagine you get heckled doing a show in front of a bunch of fanboys. But if you do what kinda shit do they yell at you?

Aaron: I don't get heckled that much. Usually they agree with me. If I do get heckled, I tend to bite back by insulting them. The only heckler I can vividly remember was during this one show, someone tried to be a smart ass and asked if I was a virgin. The guy who asked was not that good looking and obese so you can imagine what I said back to him.

Me: You don't make fun of "Doctor Who", do you?

Aaron: If I do, it's to make fun of the TARDIS.

Me: If you do conventions regularly, do you meet a lot of famous people?

Aaron: Yeah, but it's different now. I used to meet them as a convention goer, then when working at conventions, on staff, you would pay them to hang out with them. Now, when you're a guest, it's like hanging with your co-workers after a long day at the office, only the story exchange is more out there. The one guest I met that I will remember forever was Christopher Lloyd, (Doc. Brown, from Back to the Future). It was a sci-fi con and he was a special guest and I had a replica hover board. I was falling asleep in the elevator and he walked in and he woke me up, yelling, "Marty, you have to come back with me to the future!"

Me: Do you have a certain favorite sci-fi movie or TV show?

Aaron: The list is endless: "Star Trek", "Battlestar Galactica", "Firefly", "X-Files", Star Wars, etc... The one show I got into briefly and stopped watching was "Lost". I don't need to go further.

Me: Tell the readers about the United Anime Organization as I know a lot of the Phile's readers love that stuff. I, on the other hand, don't.

Aaron: United Anime Organization is a non-profit group that I am in charge of. We help anime clubs in high schools and colleges with any problems that they have, from starting one to fixing one.

Me: How many events like this have you done?

Aaron: More than 30.

Me: Can I buy you a beer at the convention?

Aaron: I'm gonna hold you to that; a pint of Guinness.

Me: You are writing to screenplays, Aaron, right? Tell me about Roomies and UnConventional. Have you ever seen the movie Comic Book The Movie? You should, it's great!

Aaron: Roomies is a coming of age college comedy about college students in their last year, leaving and finally growing up. Un-conventional is a comic about a bunch of friends going to an anime convention and all hell breaks loose.

Me: Aaron, do you have a website you wanna plug? And do you know any good dirty jokes? Take care, and I will see you at the 'Con.

Aaron: Anyone can visit my Myspace for up-to-date info on future shows and random rants I'll throw. I will be doing two shows at Megacon. An 18+ show and an all ages show. See you at the show!


Thanks, Aaron, I'll be there. The Phile will be back tomorrow with an interview with James Reber from Fight the Current. Then next Phriday I will post the usual entry of the Phile and post three interviews... one on Saturday, one on Sunday and one on Monday. So, until then, spread the word, not the turd. 


No comments:

Followers